Pathways of Life...

Friday, September 11, 2009

Wow, 11 ft. Rattlesnake, Odessa, Texas



And I was griping in my previous blog about 2 little 5 ft. chicken snakes HIDES in the tree above us!!!

Holy Toledo---this eleven foot rattlesnake was found and killed last Friday at 3rd and Knoxx Street ...in the city of Odessa, Texas! My favorite Aunt lived not far from this on 10th street---with her oil well in their back yard.

(but wow....this thing looks more like a Boa Constrictor) How could something so big....get by all the growth years and not be found....especially inside a city the size of Odessa---which is NOT small.

Mercy---I was RAISED with tons of Rattlesnakes believe me! We thought that we had one of the largest ever.....it was 8 ft. 2 inches...and my brother & brother-n-law killed it & split it open...because it had a huge hump in it's belly....only to find a full grown gigantic Jack Rabbit...in perfect condition but dead.


As children on a ranch we were taught from birth forward to 'watch out for snakes'...every blade of grass or rock held deadly danger. Our ranch had all 4 venomous snakes of Texas, copperheads and water moccasin's at the rivers. earth tanks and creek bottoms, deadly Coral snakes-occasionally and the rattlers were everywhere....in the pastures, barns, sheds and beneath our house and in your yards many, many times----including under the steps when my hubby...then boyfriend started to 'kiss me goodnight'....and zzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzz came the resounding but familiar noise of deadly FEAR...and his huge 6 ft 3 inch teenage body JUMPED back about 10 feet into the air screaming.

My Parents were asleep at the midnight hour---but KNEW instantly WHAT was happening. My boyfriend was either BITTEN or 'had totally taken flight' in fear!!! lol
He was basically a 'city boy' and had NEVER even been around snakes. Period.

My precious MOM--TO THE RESCUE---the old shotgun behind the door at midnight...with a flashlight...took care of that issue immediately. One dead 6 foot rattlesnake gone! And one City boy returned home with wet pants---and a story to 'tell all his friends' forever. ha ha And he still does....smile

No comments: